Celebrating 33 Years of Giving: Join the Coalition to Fight Hunger!
|Or you may mail your check to:
Urban Affairs Coalition, c/o Felicia Harris
1207 Chestnut St., Philadelphia, PA 19107
Each year, the Urban Affairs Coalition (UAC) reaches out to our City’s most challenged communities and distributes Thanksgiving Baskets to over 2,000 needy families; providing Thanksgiving dinners to feed over 6,000 individuals each year. Over the past 33 years, UAC has fed over 150,000 Philadelphia residents! UAC works with more than 80 community groups, churches, and elected officials in all neighborhoods to identify those most in need and provide them with Thanksgiving Baskets.
Over the last 12 years, our partners Brown’s Shoprite and their vendors have provided all of the Thanksgiving fixings valued at $50,000 annually. However, UAC must raise $30,000 to purchase the Turkeys for the baskets. In the past, the costs of the matching funds have largely been supported by funding from the Department of Community & Economic Development (DCED); however, these funds are no longer available.
To learn about sponsorships or other ways to give, please contact Felicia Harris, at email@example.com or call 215-851-1720.
UAC’s efforts to feed those in poverty during this time of year are critical as Philadelphia’s poverty rate continues to climb. Over 400,000 of Philadelphians live in poverty, giving Philadelphia the second highest poverty rate (28%) among the nation’s largest cities. Additionally, more than 470,000 Philadelphia residents are eligible for food stamps, but not all receive them. That’s 3 out of every 10 city residents!
HOW TO VOLUNTEER
· Each year volunteers stuff Thanksgiving Baskets at Brown's Family Shoprite, 24th & Oregon. Basket Stuffing this year will take place on Saturday, November 19, 2016 at 9AM - 12PM.
· Volunteers can also help by distributing the baskets at Brown's Family Shoprite Parkside, 1575 N 52nd Street on Monday, November 21, 2016.
· Volunteers must be at least 13 years old.
2016 Thanksgiving Basket Program Cabinet
- Rev. Marshall Paul Mitchell, Salem Baptist Church of Jenkintown
- Rev. Dr. Lorina Marshall-Blake, Vice President, Government Relations, Independence Blue Cross
- Paul Brauer, Executive Vice President and COO, Shop Rite/Brown's Super Stores
- Grant Rawdin, Board Chair, Urban Affairs Coalition
- Sharmain Matlock-Turner, President & CEO, Urban Affairs Coalition